Membertou Sports and Wellness Centre
Harvey Architecture Ltd.
In collaboration with our partners at Harvey Architecture, BMR was the lead structural engineer for the 100,000 square foot recreational facility located in Membertou, Nova Scotia. Completed in 2016, this modern complex includes:
- Two ice hockey pads complete with dressing rooms
- 3000 square foot community fitness centre
- Indoor walking track
- Geothermal ice-making system
- Integrated child-care facility
- Multipurpose community space
The facility consists of a structural steel frame all supported on a reinforced concrete foundation system. The large, open arena spaces required long-span structural steel trusses be incorporated into the roof design to provide a completely unobstructed view of the rinks. Intermediate structural steel roof framing was provided between the long-span trusses. Second level concourse framing consists of composite concrete slabs supported on a combination of structural steel beams, and load-bearing masonry walls. A system of structural steel raker beams were designed to support a series of precast concrete bleachers for the arena seating. Laterally, the building diaphragms were designed the resist wind and seismic loads through a series of structural steel bracing systems. The exterior building envelope consisted of a system of horizontal structural steel girts to support the wall panels.
- Long-span structural steel roof trusses designed to accommodate the arena design
- Bleacher support system and rink slab design included for arena portion of the building
- Challenging design scope and detail level for various facilities within building