Bird Construction Company
Constructed in the heart of downtown Moncton to help drive redevelopment of the city’s core, this state-of-the-art facility boasts permanent seating for 8,800 and capacity seating for 10,000. Successfully completed and opened in 2018, the Avenir Centre includes an NHL sized ice surface, club lounge, café & concession stands, commercial kitchen, private luxury skyboxes, outdoor plaza facility, outdoor skating rink, and flexible space for trade shows and other events.
The massive size and scope of the project required meticulous coordination between structural and multiple other stakeholders to bring it all together. These other elements included the complex network of mechanical lines & equipment within the structural ice surface slab, hundreds of precast concrete bleachers supported on the steel superstructure, as well as the visually impressive long-span steel roof girders, to list just a few. As is essential with design-build projects, we brought our professional, collaborative approach to problem solving and project management, which was paramount to the success of the project.
- 150-foot pre-engineered structural steel roof girders spanning nearly the entire building width
- Carefully coordinated ice slab details for brine rink pipe installation
- Structural steel raker system to support hundreds of precast concrete bleachers
- Fully coordinated structural steel network of catwalks within the steel roof framing
- Cast-in-place insulated foundation walls for increased energy efficiency